I have made a lot of sacrifices in the name of healing, but coffee isn’t one of them. I kept my one cup a day because frankly, I am a better mom, wife, and person with it. I don’t want to get all crazy about my coffee but I am a loyal follower. The funny thing is once I walked away from the environment of the Grande, Quad, Nonfat, One-Pump, No-Whip, Mocha, my appreciation for REAL coffee, GOOD coffee, made me realize I didn’t need a lot of artificial garbage in it.
Admittedly though, I do not drink my coffee black. Go ahead, tell me how I am not a REAL coffee drinker unless I drink it scalding and black as night. That’s okay, I’ve been called much worse. I enjoy mine rich and creamy and slightly sweetened, arguably not as gross as the coffee shops make their drinks, but I do like a lil sass mixed in.
Well with the cooling temps (not that I don’t drink hot coffee year round, cuz I do), I was inspired by a reader’s request for homemade chocolate syrup. So this morning when I woke and had to make 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and my daily coffee, I figured I might as well get this whole chocolate thing started early. Why not!? Here is the result: a luxurious, creamy, chocolatey coffee drink that took minutes to make! You can make the chocolate cream and add it to milks and other beverages for a gunk free alternative to chocolate syrup sold on store shelves. It makes a big batch so refrigerate it throughout the week and use it as needed!
For the Chocolate Cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup allergen friendly chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure vanilla extract
For the Mocha:
- 1/4 cup chocolate cream
- 8 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- Optional: coconut whipped cream
- Optional: cacao nibs or chocolate shavings
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk and chocolate chips
- Over medium/high heat, stir the two until the chocolate melts and can be whisked into the coconut milk
- Transfer the mixture to a blender (or use immersion blender) and add vanilla extract
- Blend until combined well and creamy
- To make the mocha, pour 1/4 of the chocolate cream into a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee and stir well (you may add more if you like)
- Top with coconut whipped cream and/or cacao nibs for an indulgent treat
This sounds delicious! But mostly wanted to write & say that it’s so nice to hear about someone else who really likes their coffee and doesn’t drink it black!
Right? I can’t help myself!
Just starting ..feeling a little overwhelmed
How do you store your left over chocolate cream?
In a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week!
Oh my word- I LOvE coffee and chocolate and this sounds AMAZING! I may sey my alarm a little early so I can enjoy before the kids wake….and tall the beautiful chaos begins!!
I’ve recently been diagnosed with autoimmunity and need to give up dairy, but the thought of giving up morning mocha was just adding insult to injury!
My nutritionist passed your recipe on to me and I made my first cup this morning. I LOVE IT! I had been trying raw cacao powder, stevia, and coconut milk, but it just wasn’t doing it for me. This is perfect.
I am so glad to hear this!!! Thank you!