I have made a lot of sacrifices in the name of healing, but coffee isn’t one of them. I kept my one cup a day because frankly, I am a better mom, wife, and person with it. I don’t want to get all crazy about my coffee but I am a loyal follower. The funny thing is once I walked away from the environment of the Grande, Quad, Nonfat, One-Pump, No-Whip, Mocha, my appreciation for REAL coffee, GOOD coffee, made me realize I didn’t need a lot of artificial garbage in it.
Admittedly though, I do not drink my coffee black. Go ahead, tell me how I am not a REAL coffee drinker unless I drink it scalding and black as night. That’s okay, I’ve been called much worse. I enjoy mine rich and creamy and slightly sweetened, arguably not as gross as the coffee shops make their drinks, but I do like a lil sass mixed in.
Well with the cooling temps (not that I don’t drink hot coffee year round, cuz I do), I was inspired by a reader’s request for homemade chocolate syrup. So this morning when I woke and had to make 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and my daily coffee, I figured I might as well get this whole chocolate thing started early. Why not!? Here is the result: a luxurious, creamy, chocolatey coffee drink that took minutes to make! You can make the chocolate cream and add it to milks and other beverages for a gunk free alternative to chocolate syrup sold on store shelves. It makes a big batch so refrigerate it throughout the week and use it as needed!
For the Chocolate Cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup allergen friendly chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure vanilla extract
For the Mocha:
- 1/4 cup chocolate cream
- 8 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- Optional: coconut whipped cream
- Optional: cacao nibs or chocolate shavings
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk and chocolate chips
- Over medium/high heat, stir the two until the chocolate melts and can be whisked into the coconut milk
- Transfer the mixture to a blender (or use immersion blender) and add vanilla extract
- Blend until combined well and creamy
- To make the mocha, pour 1/4 of the chocolate cream into a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee and stir well (you may add more if you like)
- Top with coconut whipped cream and/or cacao nibs for an indulgent treat