Looking to make your same ol’ dinner a little extra? This Instant Pot Tex Mex Beef Stew is a sure fire way to make your mealtime a lot less boring.
Hi my name is Jennifer and I eat stew even when it is 80 degrees in January in Florida. I don’t see this as a confession as much as an absolute declaration that there is no wrong time for soups and stews. Except maybe during a turbulent flight to Europe, because then you’re just talking about burning yourself and making a mess. Anywho, this weekend we packed in the fun with birthday parties, dad + daughter dance, another mom hang out, and dining outside on the water.
I am mildly obsessed with the fact that I can wear tank tops in January here. Not everyday mind you, sometimes, I have to wear a long sleeve top and dare I say VEST on the extra chilly mornings. But there is something absolutely incredible about sitting here in my office at 5.55pm on a week night, watching my kids ride their bikes without the risk of ice or frozen digits.
We finally have year round sun and it is nothing short of glorious. It has done huge things for my mental health as well as my physical health in just being able to step outside on any given day. But even without snow and single digits, I am a soup and stew girl year round. And you can be too if you aren’t already.
I decided to take my well-loved beef stew and shake it up a bit for this recipe. Not that the basic B of beef stews isn’t also rewarding and delicious, but what if we just put a little kick in there for funsies? So I did. I added some zesty spices and topped it off with cilantro and avocado and man if this wasn’t a treat. My husband, bless him, would be perfectly content with the same meal 5 days a week. He’s low maintenance like that. Me? Nope. I want bold flavors, a little excitement, and something different almost everyday. Let’s just say it’s like being pregnant for your entire adult life. Special isn’t it?
But since I’m typically the one making dinner, Imma make something a little kickier than grilled proteins and steamed veggies. And fortunately, my family typically eats whatever I make. So that’s where we are. Variety, flavor, and a blog of recipes to back it up. Side note: are you subscribed to my newsletter where I send out a MONTHLY MEAL PLAN to my subscribers every month year round? You should be. It’s the teets. Do that HERE.Print
Instant Pot Tex Mex Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive, avocado, or ghee)
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chilies (like Rotel), drained
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour (to thicken if desired)
- Cilantro, jalapenos, or avocado to garnish
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot
- Add in the stew meat and onion, saute for 5 minutes
- Add in all remaining ingredients except for the cassava flour and garnishes
- Stir to combine seasonings and then secure the lid
- Press the Manual button and pressure cook for 20 minutes
- Quick release the pressure valve and remove the lid once safe to do so
- Take a potato masher and press down on the veggies to break them up. The starch from the potatoes will thicken the stew slightly
- If you prefer a thicker stew, remove 1 cup of the liquid and add 2 tablespoons of cassava flour and stir to combine
- Then add the thickened slurry back into the stew and stir before serving with preferred garnishes
Once again, Jennifer hits it out of the park! Yummy!!
Thank you so much!