Paleo Everything Bagel Waffles are quite possibly a gift from the heavens. Find out why bagels and waffles need to start sharing DNA below!
At the risk of sounding like a basic B, “I can’t even.” Last night as I laid down for the night I had this idea. I was so excited about it, I couldn’t wait to get up this morning and try it out. Yesterday I posted the recipe for my Sweet Potato + Bacon Waffles and instantly started dreaming of other savory waffles I might create.
I’m all for the sweet ones too, don’t get me wrong! I’ve made these Double Chocolate Hazelnut Waffles and these Guilt Free Grain Free Waffles as well. I’ve even developed my Legit Pancake Mix which works perfectly well when prepared as waffles instead of pancakes.
But there is just something so satisfying about a savory waffle, one you could use to make a sandwich or even a burger bun! So when I started thinking about the idea of more savory types, it struck me. I needed a Paleo Everything Bagel Waffle!!! I wanted to use my Legit Bagel Mix which I hoped would create that same authentic bagel texture – crispy outside, chewy middle. And with a few changes from the package directions, it worked!
I hope you’ll enjoy these as much as I did. I pulled together a traditional spread and could not believe how authentic it all was. Plus they took only a fraction of the time from the traditional method. Note: you could also try this with one of my other bagel recipes but please be advised the texture will not be as bagel like. You could also use the recipe fromThe New Yiddish Kitchen, though I have not experimented quite yet!
- 1.5 cups warm water (around 100 degrees)
- 1 packet quick acting yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 bag Legit Bagel Mix
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Everything but the Bagel Seasoning or Primal Palate Steakhouse Seasoning
- Combine the water, honey, and yeast and stir. Allow the yeast to bloom, about 5 minutes. If it doesn't bubble and froth, it is dead or the water is too hot/cold. Toss it and start again.
- As your yeast blooms, preheat your waffle iron to medium/high.
- Once the yeast is bloomed, combine it with the bagel mix and add in the oil and seasoning. Everything but the Bagel seasoning and Primal Palate Steak Seasoning can be found here.
- Once the mixture has been combined, spoon 1/4 - 1/3 of it into your waffle iron and follow the directions of your iron until the bagel waffle is browned and cooked through.
- Serve with lox, dairy free cream cheese, capers, onions, tomato and/or ghee.