I woke up this morning and felt completely inspired by chocolate. The irony is that I am sort of doing a post-book writing detox and have promised myself I would chill on the treats and carbs until my body can reset. Seems like a perfect time to make DOUBLE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT WAFFLES right?! I know I know. Story of my life.
The good news is, I only took 2 bites so that I could confirm they were not poisonous. The bad news is they are now taunting me. But the kids really enjoyed this treat, ESPECIALLY because I made them Healing Hot Chocolate to go with it. Now before you get all lecture-y about sugar and too many treats… I DO in fact try to limit their treats and when I make the yummy stuff I try to keep the natural sugars to a minimum. Plus, ya know what?! I am making this stuff from scratch with high quality ingredients so it could be a lot worse.
Needless to say, my kids love me right now which is super awesome because no doubt by this afternoon I will somehow become the worst mom ever, for some unforeseen reason such as: 1) they aren’t allowed to light the house on fire 2) they aren’t allowed to play human frogger with the traffic on our street 3) they aren’t allowed to dive off the bunk beds into a pile of toilet paper. But for now I win. And that’s all that counts thankyouverymuch.
- 1 cup hazelnut flour (or ground hazelnuts)
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or preferred cooking fat)
- 1/4 cup flax milk (coconut or almond milk work well too)
- 1 pastured egg
- 2-3 tablespoons 100% maple syrup
- 1/4-1/3 cup allergen friendly chocolate chips
- Preheat your waffle maker
- Place all ingredients except for chocolate chips in a blender
- Blend until creamy
- Pour batter into waffle iron
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly amongst the waffle batter
- Cook according to waffle maker’s directions
- Remove carefully and serve