If you are a meatball fan and an Asian fusion fan too, these Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs and Rice are for you!
Remember that time there was a major freakout over potatoes not being paleo, so much so that it warranted a 2 star review on my latest book (where I clearly tell you how you can sub sweets for whites)? Yeah that was like a hot minute ago, but it was so entertaining it inspired me to write this recipe for Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs and Rice.
Let me tell you a little something about me, if you didn’t already know.
- I have what my husband calls a steel trap and while I battle my fair share of brain fog and forgetting friends’ birthdays, there are certain things I’ll never forget (exhibit A up above).
- I’m real stubborn, like a damn bull, and so I like to combine my steel trap with my hard head and get creative
- I think there’s room for being flexible and as hard as it is for this Type A chick to adapt to change sometimes, I also know that when you remain completely inflexible, bad stuff happens.
- I eat rice sometimes. And potatoes. And for all the things you could potentially hate me for or hold over me, these should not be them.
- I’m a real smart ass, but you probably know that by now.
So when you combine all 4 of the aforementioned key points, the result of that is when someone says “you can’t”, there’s a good chance I indeed WILL and I’ll plaster it for all the world to see. So I made these Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs and Rice because in addition to the points made above, I freakin’ love meatballs and I love quick easy recipes in my IP. And nevermind that the last 2 recipes I published before this one were both meatball recipes, because this one had to be written and it is GOOD!
When I made my ONE POT INSTANT POT MEATLOAF, MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY recipe awhile back, I had no idea that one pot Instant Pot meals would be that popular. But your enthusiasm inspired me to do more! So I decided it would be real fun to see if I could make flavored rice and meatballs in the same pot and today was the day my friends. Today was victorious! So if you are ready to dig into some Asian inspired meatballs with a kick paired with Basmati rice made in the same IP at the same time, you are in for a real treat! And don’t worry, I’ll make something besides meatballs one day, but today is not that day. Enjoy!!!
Instant Pot General Tso’s Meatballs and Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (I use THIS brand)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- Pour the uncooked rice into the stainless steel bowl of your Instant Pot
- In a bowl combine 1/2 cup coconut aminos (I use THIS brand), 1 teaspoons onion powder, divided, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon sriracha, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, 3/4 cup water
- Stir to combine
- In another bowl combine the ground turkey, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- Then add 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture into the meat mixture, combine by hand and shape meatballs
- Pour the sauce mixture over the uncooked rice and give it a quick stir so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the Instant Pot
- Now place the meatballs on top of the rice and sauce. Give the ingredients a gentle stir before securing the lid
- Once the lid is on press the Manual/Pressure Cook button and adjust the time to read 16-17 minutes on low pressure; 16 minutes for firmer rice and 17 for slightly more tender
- Make sure your pressure valve is closed so it will come to pressure and allow the meatballs and rice to cook
- Quick release the pressure valve once the cooking cycle is complete and remove the lid once safe to do so
- Top with more toasted sesame seeds and minced green onion to garnish