I shoveled snow today and didn’t have a heart attack. Small victories are big ones sometimes. Like a Texan surviving single digits. It’s exciting and depressing all at the same time. Know what else happened today? Unicorn vomit. That’s my nice way of saying, “My 4 year old dumped out millions of sequins onto the rug.” Was it sparkly and beautiful? Yes, to a 4 year old who dumped them. Between snow and unicorn vomit, and subzero temps, I am gonna need therapy. Until then, I’ve got soup. And by golly it sure helps. Since receiving my Instant Pot a few weeks ago, I’ve been really enjoying the
science experiments, kitchen fun. I’ve made BEEF STEW, MEATBALLS, and now this Italian Wedding Soup. I still get a little overly excited when I see a finished product so quickly after prepping it. And my hungry (read – impatient) family doesn’t seem to mind either! For this soup I opted for ground turkey meatballs and basically made them using THIS recipe, but omitted the ginger. I advise using an alternate flour besides coconut is preferred as a binder if you are able. Almond flour (not for AIP), water chestnut flour, cassava flour, should all work. You might need less of each, depending on which one you use. You should be able to roll the meatballs between your hands, so you can use texture as your guide. Ingredients: For the Meatballs
- 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons water chestnut flour (or other flour alternative, see paragraph above)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon 100% maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (this is in place of Parmesan)
For the Soup:
- 64 ounces organic or homemade broth (I used half beef/half chicken)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced (or more)
- 1 cup spinach, chopped (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pepper to taste (OMIT FOR AIP)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, ghee, or lard
- Optional: 1 cup Grain Free, Gluten Free Couscous (OMIT FOR AIP) – they sell this in groceries in the Jewish foods section or can be ordered online.
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Meanwhile, assemble your meatballs by combining meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix well by hand; form meatballs between 1-2″ in diameter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and then remove from oven
- In your Instant Pot, use the saute feature to cook your diced onion and tablespoon cooking fat until the onion is slightly translucent and begins to brown.
- Now add in your broth, meatballs, carrots and seasonings, reserving the spinach for later
- If you are using Grain Free Couscous you can add that now as well. If you do not use this and want to thicken your soup, you can add in a slurry of 1 tablespoon tapioca starch with a bit of broth AFTER YOU COOK YOUR SOUP.
- Now secure the lid of your Instant Pot, close the steam vent, and set on MANUAL, High Pressure, a cook time of 10 MINUTES. It will take a few moments to heat up and then will cook for 10 minutes.
- After this you can quick release your steam valve or let it come down slowly. Once it is safe to open, you can remove the lid and toss in your chopped spinach. Stir well until spinach wilts.
- At this time you can also add in your tapioca starch slurry if you wish to thicken your soup.