When I was pregnant, there was a time when I literally could have eaten a meatball sub for EVERY meal. I’m not sure if it was the meatballs themselves, the garlic, the marinara sauce, or just the PARMESAN alone! Now clearly this is a meal of the past. There is basically NOWHERE I can find a meatball sub which would cater to my grain free, gluten free, dairy free, grass fed needs. Maybe in another 10 years. That’s a big maybe.
Until now I haven’t really bothered recreating this gestational favorite, even though I still love them just as much. But today as I sifted through my fridge, I realized I had all the ingredients for meatballs + marinara. Then I remembered I had some frozen bagels set aside from my Yiddish Kitchen recipe. Now all I needed was the parm and we’d be set.
There is a vegan parm at my local health food store and honestly, I have fallen victim to it several times. It really was not a bad gig except for the price. Does it taste perfectly like aged parmesan from grass fed cows? Nope! But does it FEEL like parmesan when I sprinkle it on top of my faves? YEP! Sure does. So realizing I had the ingredients I remembered seeing on that bottle, I went for it. It worked!!! Plus I added probiotics for a lil sumpin’ special.
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- Probiotic capsules opened up (I used 50 billion total of THIS one but any brand will do)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until ground finely. Do not over-grind or you will make “butter”.
- Store in the fridge and sprinkle as needed!