So it’s not quite September, I get that. It was also 90 degrees today, I get that too. But when Joanne from Just Eat Real Food told me I needed to create an allergen friendly mummy dog like those seen floating around Pinterest and seasonal magazines, I knew I had to just go for it.
So I didn’t want to put it off – I had all the ingredients ready to go and I had a plan. Plus my stress levels this week have not been healthy and Paleo Mummy Dogs (Top 8 Free) seemed like the perfect therapy. Bonus: I made 3 kids think I was a pretty rad mom. Trickery!
- 6 grassfed organic hot dogs
- 1 cup peeled, boiled until fork tender (25 min.), mashed yuca
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 6 cookie sticks (or popsicle sticks)
- Preheat your oven to 375
- In a heavy duty blender or food processor, combine the yuca, garlic sea salt, and oil
- Blend/combine well until a dough is formed
- Spoon dough onto a piece of parchment paper or nonstick cutting board
- Add in the coconut flour and distribute evenly
- Now divide the dough into 6 same-sized pieces
- Take each piece of dough and roll it into a long skinny piece, about the width of a pencil. Ideally you want your dough piece to roll out to about 18 inches give or take; this will help it wrap around the hot dog without leaving too much dog exposed
- Once you have one piece of dough rolled out, take a hot dog, blot any moisture from it, and begin wrapping the dough. It might be easier to actually roll the hot dog versus picking up the long piece of dough.
- Note: if the dough breaks, you can mash it back together. Keep calm, wrap on!
- Once each hot dog is wrapped like a mummy from top to bottom, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until dough is cooked and slightly browned. You can baste a little extra oil on the dough if you like as well.
- Remove from oven and dot ketchup eyes on your mummy dogs
- Once cooled slightly, use the cookie sticks to insert up the middle of your mummy dogs
- Serve to your favorite ghouls and goblins!