This was an eventful day in the kitchen! I made a delicious Strawberry Shortcake, I revamped some Stuffed Mushrooms, and I made these delicious Paleo Hot Dog Buns from my Sweet Poato Bun recipe. I hesitated making this a “new” recipe, because it really isn’t – but to make it a little simpler for following directions, I am doin’ it!
So the ingredients and directions below are basically identical to my Sweet Potato Bun recipe, except you will adjust the cook time and use this Taco Baking Rack (or find another way to “fold” your buns! You could try draping them over top another oven-friendly apparatus you have, or balling up foil to fold over, but this taco rack worked perfectly for me! Have fun!
- 1/4 cup palm shortening melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (i grind my own)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all ingredients in blender, I use the Nutribullet
- Let batter sit for a few minutes to thicken
- Spoon batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and shape each bun into an elongated oval (long enough to accommodate a hot dog), wide enough to “fold” in half around your dog
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until “set” but not cooked completely
- Remove from oven and cool slightly
- Using your Taco Baking Rack, drop your buns in the grooves – or the “V” shape (INSTEAD of folding them over the peaks as you would with the Paleo Taco Shells)
- Once centered in the grooves, bake for another 12 minutes or until cooked through
- Remove from oven – your buns will be “U”shaped, perfect for holding a hot dog!
Shared with Gluten Free Wednesdays