We all love Nutella, let’s admit! But when the first ingredient is sugar and the last is vanillin (artificial vanilla flavor derived from processed wood pulp), it’s not exactly health food. I tried convincing myself it just had a few ingredients but really, I was a liar. To myself. And as much as my kids love this chocolatey goo, I needed to make a better alternative. So I did!
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup enjoy life chocolate chips or other dairy free option, melted
- Soak hazelnuts for several hours
- Toast hazelnuts in toaster oven (I used medium setting) and then peel skins (they should come off pretty easily after toasting)
- If desired toast again after peeling, will help pesky skins that didn’t come off easily the first time
- Place toasted hazelnuts, vanilla, melted chocolate and melted coconut oil into food processor, Vitamix, or Nutribullet
- Blend until creamy, scraping sides as necessary and blending again
- Serve with fruit, on desserts, or lick straight off the spoon for a treat!
Oh I definitely have to try this! I used to love Nutella!