Be excited, be very excited – grain free tempura is here! This recipe reminds me of two tasty childhood memories. First I am a huge fan of tempura shrimp and veggies at hibachi steak houses. I haven’t been able to eat them in years but omg the deliciousness is out of control. I love everything about those light crisped veggies and had to recreate them. The other memory I have is from a place we used to eat in the Houston Galleria called Zucchini’s. Can you guess what they served? I know it’s a tricky one – but they had the best fried zucchini and ranch. Because you know in Texas, ranch is liquid gold. So now that you know my life story, those two memories forced me into making these and I’m so glad I did! Enjoy y’all!
- olive oil or avocado oil for frying
- 2 zucchini squashes cut into finger-width spears
- 1/2 cup flax, coconut or other dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot
- marinara or dairy free ranch for serving
- Preheat the olive or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Pour the milk onto one clean plate and combine the flours and seasonings onto another.
- Coat the zucchini spears in the flour mixture then give them a milk bath before dredging in the flours once more.
- Tap off excess flour and place into the hot oil.
- Cook on all sides until crisp, about 5-7 minutes and then remove them with a skimmer and place them onto a towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm or if serving later, reheat in the oven or toaster oven to crisp them back up again.
[…] Grain-free Tempura Zucchini – Predominantly Paleo […]