Dairy Free Creamy Mushroom Soup
I have always said I would love opening a soup shop – a lunch spot with daily offerings where lovers of soup can unite and dine! I would have a set number of soups made each day and once they are served, they are gone for the day. I’d love to feed people on chilly days with some of my favorite soups like French Onion, Chili, and Cream of Mushroom soup of course! But I’d like to make them as clean as possible so that I can nourish not just feed.
Here is my dairy free creamy mushroom soup, sure to hit the spot on a rainy day (or any day if you love soup as much as I do)! It’s perfect for Vegan or Paleo eaters depending on what kind of broth you use, so grab the ingredients and get soupin’!
- 1 package/carton button mushrooms (or whatever kind you prefer)
- 1 cup flax milk (or other dairy free alternative)
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cups organic chicken or veggie broth
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil (or preferred cooking fat)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca for thickening
- In a large pot saute oil with onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs de provence, and mushrooms
- Allow to soften and brown nicely
- Introduce broth and bring to a boil
- Add tapioca and cream and return to a boil for a few minutes
- Use immersion blender or ladle smaller amounts into vitamix or blender to make a creamier consistency – blend to taste (smoother or chunkier)
- Garnish with chives or slurp straight from the cooktop!
What do you use since mimic creme is no longer available?
Michelle, you could use coconut cream if you do not have an aversion to the taste or make your own cream with cashews if you are up to it!