I learned something new on this St. Patrick’s day from a reader. Apparently it is customary to wish someone EITHER a Happy St. Patrick’s Day OR Happy St. Paddy’s Day. But did you know Happy St. Patty’s Day is a no go?! Now my maiden name is Bailey so you’d think I would have heard that somewhere along the way but it turns out I am much better at wearing green than I am at knowing the customs!
Last year I made this Faux Shamrock Shake for fun since it was green and sweetened naturally. This year I decided to make CREAMED SPINACH so that I could channel not only my inner Irish but also my inner Popeye. Plus I needed a veggie side for dinner so it all worked out well.
- 5 ounces (1 tub) organic baby spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat like avocado or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- Pinch nutmeg (omit for AIP)
- Black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, drizzle the cooking oil and then add in the diced onion
- Saute over high heat, occasionally stirring until the onion starts to nicely brown, about 10 minutes or so
- Add in the chopped spinach, stirring so that it wilts evenly
- Allow some of the water from the spinach to cook off (about 5-8 minutes) and also add in the garlic, nutmeg, and sea salt
- Once enough water has evaporated, stir in the coconut milk and then serve hot, seasoning with black pepper to taste
This was delicious… thank you..