Truth be told, I have been living without buns for so long now that I am past the mourning period. I mean sure, it really stunk for a long time but then I realized how bloaty and gross most bread-stuff made me, even the gluten free varieties.
So I put on my big girl pants and adapted to my non-bun lifestyle. And really for the most part I am ok with it. I get to avoid feeling grody and weighed down afterwards. And bonus alert: I get to keep my pants buttoned. Those around me seem to appreciate that.
Anyway, there are times that the idea of a bun creeps into my head and I also realized that there are many people who have not gotten over the absence of the bread. So for you my friends, I know your loss well and I empathize.
This bun is a little crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. It holds together well for sandwiches, burgers, or for eating straight out of the oven – not that I would ever do that. Ever. Nor would my kids. Swear.
- 1/4 cup palm shortening melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (i grind my own)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all ingredients in blender, I use the Nutribullet
- Let batter sit for a few minutes to thicken
- Spoon batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, you can decide how big you want your buns
- Bake for 20 minutes for smaller buns, 25 minutes for bigger ones
- Remove from oven and cool slightly