Nut allergies and sensitivities seem to be among one of the highest growing concerns in food sensitivities. I am constantly getting requests for nut-free alternatives, and when possible, I try to offer them. In the grain-free, dairy-free community, nuts are often substituted and for good reason. They are versatile and can make comparable baked goods for those who must avoid grains and gluten.
Today’s recipe was made in the hopes that those who cannot tolerate almond milk, cashew milk, or other nut-based milks would have an alternative. My flax milk is always a good option as well and is super simple. This Sun Milk is made with soaked sunflower seeds and has a nutty flavor that is quite tasty!
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (soaked for 2-3 hours minimum)
- 15 drops vanilla stevia
- 4 cups chilled filtered water
- Drain your soaked sunflower seeds and empty them into a blender
- Pour 4 cups of chilled filtered water and blend on high for about a minute
- Using a nut milk bag (or clean pantyhose) strain the liquid through the bag, leaving behind only the pulp
- Squeeze 15 vanilla stevia drops into the strained milk and stir
- Alternatively you could use honey or maple syrup to taste