Something insane showed up in my news feed the other day that I couldn’t unsee. Deep fried chocolate chip cookie dough. Whaaa?! Now before you call the paleo police, let me be clear about one thing… you ain’t gonna ruffle my feathers. Know why?? Because I am a grown up and am pretty capable of policing my own food choices. Do I eat sweets often? Nope. Do I have recipes for treats on this blog? Yep. Do I think that other people need to be in charge of what goes in my mouf? Noooooope. If you want to make a treat sometimes and can handle it and understand that it is not one of the primary food groups should you be able to? YES!
Alright now that we’ve settled that, hopefully the militants can go for a walk or meditate so that they can recover from what lies below. Because basically what we’ve got is grain free chocolate chip cookies that are then deep fried for a few moments in order to create a crispy outer shell that is sort of intense. And by intense I basically mean you could potentially lose control of most of your bodily functions – but only momentarily so don’t let that stop you.
If you’ve tried my empanadas, funnel cakes, or perogies, you are well aware that I am not at all timid about frying in good fats. So when I saw that newsfeed I just HAD to recreate. I tried a couple of methods but the best method is to bake first or the dough will not stay intact. So bake em, fry em, and enjoy em. And if the paleo police try to write you a citation, let them know they’ve got the wrong person!
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup palm shortening + 1 tablespoon, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1.5 cups soy/dairy free chocolate chips
- Avocado oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all ingredients except for chocolate chips in a mixing bowl
- Mix well, using hands if necessary to incorporate all ingredients, adding chocolate chips last
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, roll golf ball sized balls of dough spaced 1/2″ apart
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes
- While cookies are baking, preheat avocado oil over high heat in a small saucepan; you’ll want about an inch
- Once the cookies are baked through, remove them from the oven and fry them a few at a time in the heated oil
- Allow the cookies to fry on all sides for up to a minute and then remove with a slotted spoon and allow to cool slightly on a towel lined plate