I have always claimed that sweet and savory did not belong together. I would pick fruit out of salads and turn my nose up at sophisticated pairings. Then something happened – I started eating real food. And slowly after gaining more of an appreciation for organic, pure, chemical free foods, these pairings started to become more desirable.
Well what do ya know?! I am now creating my own dishes incorporating both sweet and savory. This cilantro watermelon salad marries cilantro, watermelon, avocado, and red onion – it is both light and flavorful and perfect for taking outdoors during the warmer months. Despite it being a less likely combination, my children enjoyed it, even the 3 year old!
- 2 cups balled or cut watermelon
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced/chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion
- Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
- Optional: a sprinkle maple or coconut palm sugar
- Combine all ingredients (besides lime juice) and toss lightly, being careful to avoid mashing avocado too much
- Squeeze lime juice once finished and serve!