When I first gave up grain I started thinking about all the delicious food i would be missing. I felt sorry for myself for about 4.7 seconds and then realized that if I wanted to feel better, heal better, and eat better, change was needed. Chicken pot pie is a childhood favorite that should never be sacrificed. And it doesn’t need to be!!
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, ghee or my Dairy Free Butter
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound organic chicken breast
- 3 large organic carrots
- 1 cup organic peas
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- onion powder to taste
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 3 tablespoons palm shortening melted
- Poach chicken breasts in simmering water for 15 minutes or until cooked through
- Chop or shred chicken and set aside
- In skillet over medium heat melt vegan butter and add arrowroot flour until well combined
- Add chicken broth and then chopped carrots, onion, peas, and seasonings to broth mixture
- Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes until it begins to thicken. if it does not seem to thicken enough, introduce additional arrowroot flour (making a slurry first), stir, and continue to simmer until thickened to desired consistency
- Remove from heat and add diced chicken, combine well, and set aside
- To make crust, combine 2 cups almond flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot flour, 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt, 1 egg, and melted palm shortening
- Fill individual oven safe bowls (like pyrex) or mini pie tins with filling – 3/4 of the way full
- Take a handful of the dough and roll into a ball, flatten and place over mixture in bowl, repeat for additional bowls
- Bake at 375 for 15-20, watch to prevent burning
Can I use ghee in place of the palm shortening and vegan butter? Thanks, hope you had a nice anniversary! Melisa
Melissa, yes, I think that sub should be okay but have not tried it myself!
I’m gonna try with Otto’s cassava flour tortilla for the top since I am nut and egg free…it will be close!
Let me know how it turns out!
So Yummy!!! I have an egg intolerance so I used one flax egg and had to a little extra coconut oil(I didn’t have palm shortening) for the crust. I also used left over almond meal from my homemade milk making! The kids loved and I have been looking for the perfect pot pie recipe! Perfect recipe found!!! Thank you Jennifer!