I’m gonna need everyone to take a deep breath before we dive into this one…for a few reasons actually.
1) This is really exciting – I made a pizza without dairy or grain entirely in my kitchen (no fake store bought cheese) and my kids freakin’ loved it. They did not even ask me if it was “real” cheese. They DO get very occasional cheese outside the house so I was curious if they would ask me “Is this Paleo cheese,” and they did not. Bottom line, this is really exciting stuff so we are going to need to breathe through it all and contain ourselves.
2) There are no nuts in the crust, there is no grain, dairy, or egg in the crust. There is flax, thereby making it not-AIP compliant. Inhale, I have an AIP crust for you HERE and it is fantastic. We good so far?
3) There is no dairy in the “cheese”. There is no grain or egg in the “cheese”. There ARE nuts in the “cheese.” If you cannot have nuts, you cannot eat this recipe in its entirety, BUT you can make the crust and wing the toppings with whatever you CAN eat. I do not have a “cheese” recipe free of nuts at this time. Please don’t freak out. There are TONS of other things you can still load up on your pizza so please be ok.
4) The pizza crust uses Cassava flour which is a fantastic alternative to white flour. If you do not have cassava flour, you can make THIS recipe for pizza crust or THIS one. Both have very positive reviews and use different ingredients. Still doing ok?
Alright awesome, now that we’ve cleared up what you can and can’t eat and which sensitivities might be an issue, let’s enjoy some freakin’ dairy free pizza that fools even my cheese lovin’ kids!
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in water for a minimum of 1 hour and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 2 heaping teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup hot water
Pizza Crust Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour (tapioca likely works too)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (if you attempt to omit this you will need to sub in another flour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 1/4 cup ghee, avocado oil, or preferred cooking fat
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
**YOU WILL ALSO NEED PIZZA SAUCE AND WHATEVER OTHER TOPPING YOU PREFER
- To make the cheese, drain the cashews from the water they were soaking in and place the soaked cashews in a blender with all the other cheese ingredients
- Blend on high for a solid 2 minutes. You want the consistency to be perfectly creamy AND you want the tapioca to help thicken the cheese mixture
- After two minutes of blending, pour the cheese into a bowl and place in the fridge or freezer while you make the crust
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Now combine all crust ingredients in a bowl and kneed by hand until you have a big ball of dough
- Now divide that ball of dough into two equal sized balls of dough
- Roll out your dough between two pieces of parchment paper to desired thickness. If your dough cracks around the edges, just seal it back together by hand
- **I recommend making a thin crust with this one for optimal results
- Now bake the crusts for 8-10 minutes on each side (flipping once after the first 8-10 minutes)
- Remove and spoon pizza sauce on top followed by whatever veggie/meat toppings you prefer
- NOW…. you will want to remove your cheese from the fridge or freezer and spoon/drizzle it over the toppings. You can spoon it liberally but heads up it will be liquidy. This is normal!
- Return the pizzas to the oven and turn on your broiler for 5 minutes OR LESS!
- You want the cheese to begin to solidify and even begin to brown but you do not want to burn your crust or toppings
- Remove and slice – enjoy hot or eat leftovers which are just as yum!