Step aside pumpkin everything, these Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cookies have holiday written all over them. Add in organic peppermint chips for an extra treat!
Girrrrrrl… I have been cooking up a storm this week, if you haven’t seen. After a weird, sick, yucky beginning to 2019 while living in mold, I lost my zest to create. I felt uninspired, depressed, and kind of helpless in general, which is a real crappy feeling for someone who otherwise preaches empowerment.
But now I am feeling resuscitated, like life is finally being breathed back into me. I want to socialize, go out, experience, dress up, and participate in the community. I am finding that taking interest in these things and feeling better physically is actually inspiring me to create more too. Funny how that works.
This weekend we ventured out to the History Center Tampa Ball and also to a friend’s house for homemade Indian food and like-minded discussion. Finding my people here has been truly rewarding and a much needed therapy.
And slowly I am finding inspiration all around. I am wanting to create and connect and it feels rewarding to be in that place again. So this week I made 3 recipes: these Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cookies, Chicken Pot Pie Meatballs, and Legit Gingerbread Muffins with Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting.
I am careful to avoid words like “cured” or “healed.” I believe that healing is an ongoing process once the scales have been tipped. I believe I will always have to pay attention, protect my energy, eat thoughtfully, and live consciously. These are things we should have all been doing all along; but for some of us, the lessons come hard and the fall is intense.
Ooof, that got heavy fast. So let me back that up a bit. Look kids, COOKIES!Print
Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cookies
- 1 cup cassava flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup + 3 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup melted ghee + 2 tablespoons
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon free trade instant coffee
- 1.5 tablespoons gelatin
- Optional: 1/2 cup organic peppermint chips (may contain dairy)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir, saving the gelatin for last
- Make sure the gelatin is evenly incorporated and then use a cookie scoop to spoon dough onto a baking sheet
- Keep scoops of dough at least 3 inches apart as the cookies will spread while baking
- Bake for 7-8 minutes and then allow to cool before using a thin spatula to remove them from baking sheet to plate them
- Repeat until all dough is used up
- Do not overbake or edges will burn
**Your cookie dough should start to spread on the cookie sheet once scooped and continue to spread once baked. Depending on your brand of cassava flour, you may need more maple/fat to increase the “wetness” of the dough; it should not be a stiff dough, but between a batter and a dough before baking.