In the passover section at the grocery store each year, there is a delicious coconut macaroon pie crust. I’ve purchased it before, celebrating in all of its gluten free glory. Unfortunately as many of us have learned, gluten free does not equal healthy. There is a whole lotta sugar in this treat, and so it’s got to go. This homemade version has very little sweeteners but is perfectly paired with my paleo chocolate pie filling.
- 2 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1.5 tablespoon potato starch
- 4 egg whites
- 1.25 teaspoons stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 325
- Whisk all 4 egg whites until frothy, add vanilla and honey and set aside
- In a separate bowl combine coconut, potato starch, and stevia powder
- Add egg white mixture to dry ingredients and combine well
- In a greased pie tin, press in mixture evenly, in center and up sides of tin
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges start to brown. if you are going to bake your pie filling, only prebake for 5 minutes before adding filling and baking longer. you will want to watch the coconut for burning.