Bottom line in the land of healthy eating – people want food that tastes good. The. End. And if those people are coming off of eating a Standard American Diet, then things like bread, pasta, desserts, and fried foods are in the priority. We are a carb, sugar, fat loving nation and to transition away from all of our beloved foods, cold turkey, is MAJOR.
So my goal always, is give the people the food they want. So that as they transition away from the nasties, they can still have the foods they’ve grown accustomed to…but healthier. This recipe for flatbread is designed to be sort of a staple – you can use it to make anything you want. You can make pizza, you can make a dessert, you can eat it with guacamole, with salsa, with pâté. You can use it to scrub your counters, although that would be quite a waste. Because this is a perfect sub for all the junk you shouldn’t be eating anymore!
- 1 cup well-peeled, coarsely chopped, boiled (for about 25 minutes or until fork-tender), drained yuca root
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon garlic sea salt (or favorite seasoning blend)
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 pastured egg (you can also omit if necessary)
- Optional: use fresh herbs like rosemary or chives to jazz up this flatbread – it is a blank canvas ready for your creativity
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, Nutribullet, or Vitamix
- Once a batter is formed, pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Spread batter with the back of a spoon or flexible spatula
- You’ll want your spread batter to be on the thin side, maybe 1/4 inch thick (it will rise slightly)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through – the texture will be a flexible and very similar to glutenous flatbread