Apparently in the real world I have to make things other than soup and chocolate rooted treats; major bummer for me. But these little paleo piggies in a blanket got a ‘thumbs up’ from all three littles who left but not a crumb on the plate, much to the dog’s disappointment.
If you are newer to grain free eating, or just in search of a fun party snack, these fit the bill. Made with cashew meal, you won’t miss the tin of crescent rolls a bit!
- Lil smoky type bite size hot dogs (Applegate Farms or Trader Joe’s are preferable)
- 1.25 cups cashew flour (or cashew meal ground more finely)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, vegan butter (softened), or grass fed butter (softened)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine all ingredients well, minus the lil smokies (dough should not be too wet or sticky – you should be able to form a ball with ease. if still too wet, add a little more arrowroot flour, until you can form a ball)
- Roll out between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4 of an inch in thickness
- Using a pizza cutter, cut triangles out of dough
- Starting from the big side of a triangle, take one lil piggie and carefully roll up until dough is spiraled around
- Take time in rolling them as dough is more fragile than a glutenous counterpart
- Bake for 10 minutes or until dough has crisped up – they will not become as golden as some other versions.
- Serve with my honey mustard if you have time…they were gobbled up pretty quickly!
Shared with Gluten Free Wednesdays