Soup is one of those meals for me that is filling and satisfying yet is also emotionally comforting. The season doesn’t matter, nor the weather really, although outdoor dampness can definitely spike the urge! This soup was inspired by a need for something a little lighter as the transition from winter to spring takes shape. But the chill in the air still called for a rich broth and a hearty feel at the same time. The combination of the dark onion flavored broth and the light chicken meatballs is a perfect pairing that left my family wanting seconds and thirds!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cashew meal (or almond) plus 1 extra tablespoon if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- extra salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- Start with making your meatballs by beating egg, adding in seasoning, then ground chicken, and cashew meal
- Shape into meatballs, place on lined baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove and set aside
- Now add oil and diced onion into stockpot over medium/high heat
- Allow onion to cook until nicely browned, and slightly caramelize
- Add in garlic, carrots, beef broth, and bay leaf and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are cooked
- Add in chicken meatballs and chopped spinach and simmer for 5 more minutes
- Reduce heat and serve
Shared with Gluten Free Wednesdays
Jen A says
this is yummy soup! I made the meatballs mini for fun and cooked them in the broth because it was easy 🙂
Mini makes everything better!!!
This looks and sounds yummy!
Mary S says
Can this recipe be made in instant pot? Thanks!
Yes definitely! I wouldn’t add your spinach until after you cook the rest of it though!