I’ll be honest here. I tried to fry this ice cream. Like real deal fried ice cream. I like to think that I can figure out ways to make a lot of things work in the kitchen, but this flopped. It just didn’t work for me at all and I refuse to post recipes that don’t work. So there!
The truth is I am knee deep in getting organized after 12 days away at Paleo FX, writing The New Yiddish Kitchen, and planning a book tour for Down South Paleo. To say my life is full would be an understatement (and no I am not complaining thankyouverymuch). But I had to make a call on this recipe…either I make a delicious un-fried ice cream recipe or I walk away completely which would be rather sad, don’t you think?!
So I sat for a minute after my fried flop and I needed to figure out how to bring this back to life. After all, the ice cream was already made, its cinnamon-y vanilla voice needed to be heard! Long story short, I used the coating that would have otherwise been fried, toasted it, and then made sure that each scoop of Mexican Vanilla ice cream received a nice roll in the good stuff. So enjoy this lil treat; it might not be fried but your mouth won’t mind, I promise!
For Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 2 cups flax milk (or 1 can full fat coconut milk for AIP)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (omit for AIP if using coconut milk)
- 2 eggs (omit for AIP)
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more if desired)
- 1/3 cup organic local honey
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dairy and soy free chocolate chips to garnish
For Ice Cream (AIP Ice Cream directions found in Note on line 6):
- Preheat the oven to 325
- To make the un-fried topping, combine those ingredients and pulse in a food processor until almond slivers are smaller and all ingredients are combined. Do not overmix
- Place the topping ingredients on a small parchment lined baking sheet and toast at 325 until nicely browned – alternatively you can toast in the toaster oven for one cycle on low. Be careful not to burn
- Next combine all ice cream ingredients in a saucepan
- Place on burner and turn on low
- Whisking continuously for about 5-7 minutes, gradually increase heat from low to medium/high
- Once it begins to thicken, remove from heat and refrigerate until chilled
- Pour into ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes (following ice cream maker instructions)
- Note: For AIP ice cream option combine all ice cream ingredients except for eggs in a bowl. They do not need to be heated and chilled, you may take your AIP friendly ice cream mixture and pour it directly into the ice cream maker, being careful to follow directions
- Note: For Vegan ice cream option, combine all ice cream ingredients except for eggs and honey. Replace honey with 100% maple syrup. Mix these ingredients in a bowl and pour into ice cream maker, following ice cream maker instructions. You will not need to heat and chill the vegan option before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Once the ice cream is made, scoop into 4 equal sized scoops and top with the toasted mixture and top with chocolate chips if desired
- Serve right away