Cookout parties got you down, wishing you had an easier way to eat that bunless burger? I got you with my new Bacon Burger on a Stick recipe. You might not eat your burger any other way after this fun trick!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a lettuce-wrapped burger. I also love a good gluten or grain free bun to hold onto my grilled faves. But sometimes I just want an easy-to-eat protein without all the fuss. I’ve made it abundantly clear how I feel about finger foods so might I extend that admiration to foods on a stick.
I’m dating myself, but do you remember the corn dog on a stick place in the mall with the fresh squeezed lemonade growing up? Pretty much my favorite. Way before the gluten filled pretzel place rolled up in there. The fact that you could eat an entire meal on a stick without ever having to use actual utensils or get your hands messy was basically the best ever. And yes, if I could still indulge in a rodeo corn dog or funnel cake, you bet your sweet a$$ I would.
Luckily, I’ve evolved ever so slightly away from fair food both due to the fact that I really can’t eat that stuff without wanting to die a thousand deaths and the fact that even if I could I would like to not make a habit of eating full on garbage trash. Don’t you worry your shayna punim though, I remain committed to recreating these foods with better ingredients, because maybe I’m still 12 inside.
Grab my versions of funnel cakes HERE and even a corn dog recipe in my Paleo Kids Cookbook HERE! Ok now onto the next “stick” food.
With all of the cookouts this Summer, I know us bunless folks get used to winging it but then I thought, what if we could make it easy from the start – no fork or lettuce wrap needed. Now, don’t be a moron (cue Murray Goldberg) like I was and use bamboo skewers if you are cooking them on the grill. Yes, I did that. But if you bake them, they’ll do the trick. Otherwise use metal! Then enjoy your bacon burgers on a stick food like a champ, no fork (or manners) needed.Print
Bacon Burger on a Stick
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Garlic and Herb seasoning blend from Primal Palate
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 10 slices raw bacon
- Skewers for cooking
- Preheat oven to 350F or preheat grill to 350-400F
- Mix the ground beef with the seasonings and mustard in a bowl until they are well combined
- Divide the meat into 10 equal portions
- Shape it into an elongated meatball, the length of a finger and slide your skewer through the center
- Wrap a slice of bacon around the beef, trying to overlap the ends with part of the main slice of bacon so it does not come unraveled
- Bake on a baking sheet for around 30 minutes in the oven (bacon will not necessarily crisp but it will cook through. To crisp it up, you can broil for a few minutes to help)
- OR you can grill them for 5 minutes on one side and then flip them over for another 5 minutes on the other side
- Serve with your favorite condiments to dip in or just straight up off the stick!
Am I wrong in assuming that if you soak the bamboo skewers they are ok to grill? I’m sure I’ve done that before but want to be sure I’m not missing something!
No you’re right! Mine were extra skinny and I skipped that step LOL.