Call it a pie, call it a bar, call it a crisp or a cobbler, this Paleo Pecan Pie Bar Crisp is all you need for a special dessert.
Gosh durnit y’all, I wanted so badly to make this dessert egg free. And I did it but dang that was painful. So my plan was this – make pecan pie bars that can be sliced and eaten by hand. And technically you could do that buuuuut, they are a little messy for that.
Since I wanted to make these sans egg, that means I have an abbreviated selection of binders to use to hold these puppies together. I didn’t believe flax or chia would do the trick, so I leaned on my trusted pal, gelatin . Gelatin, when used properly is nothing short of magic. But it has its limitations. Nevertheless, I persisted.
So after round one, where I used a wee bit too much gelatin and ended up with a functioning pecan bar with a terrible texture, I knew that was a dumpster batch. Shame too cuz pecans are not cheap, ya heard?
But all is well here. I figured out a way to title it in such a way that if you are meticulous and daring, you’ll have yourself some pecan bars. And if you don’t want to try so hard, you can just scoop that sucker into a bowl and slap some dairy free (or dairy) ice cream on top.
I very hurriedly took me photos before I dashed out the door to a ladies get together, where I saw scoop after scoop going down the hatch. I stood back as a silent observer but was able to witness much enjoyment. Whew. For a spontaneous recipe, it worked out well and I’m excited to make it again when it’s not an actual experiment on 15 brand new friends. Want a traditional pecan pie recipe? Go HERE !
Paleo Pecan Pie Bar Crisp
For the crust:
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons sustainably sourced palm shortening or coconut oil, softened
- Pinch sea salt
For the pecan portion:
- 3 cups pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free creamer (I used Nutpods ), full fat coconut milk would work too
- 1.5 tablespoons grass fed gelatin  (the kind that congeals)
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Combine the almond flour, honey, pinch of salt, and shortening in a bowl
- Stir to combine and then press into a 9×9 casserole dish
- Bake for 20 minutes
- While the crust is baking, combine the remaining ingredients except for the gelatin, in a separate bowl
- Remove the casserole dish after 20 minutes and set aside
- Add the gelatin to the pecan mixture and stir quickly
- Spoon the pecan mixture into the casserole dish and press with a spatula to evenly distribute
- Bake for another 40 minutes and then COOL COMPLETELY before attempting to slice or spoon out warm with ice cream if you don’t give a crap whether they are in square shapes
Find it online: https://predominantlypaleo.com/paleo-pecan-pie-bar-crisp/