Take all of your favorite childhood foods, add in a hangover, and maybe a baseball game, and you’ve got the perfect recipe for my Paleo Chili Dog Soup.
Is it 32% weird? Maybe. Is it 110% delicious? Yes’m, it sure is. In true me fashion, I thought of this late last night and promptly ordered grocery delivery so I’d have the ingredients this morning. I suspect I am single-handedly keeping Instacart and Shipt in business over the pandemic, but the truth is I was a grocery delivery kinda gal before this started.
Anyway, I went to bed a little bit hungry because we ate a late afternoon meal on Christmas, so naturally that led to food fantasies and recipe development. Let’s just say my insatiable appetite for delicious food always has my back when it comes to recipe creation. It also means that elastic waistbands are preferred but that’s another thing altogether.
This sh*tshow of a year has gifted me something I could never have imagined – perspective. It has taught me about others’ behavior in a time of crisis. And it has taught me what kind of person I want to be too. It has taught me that the pandemic is real (I never doubted it), when we lost a family member to it. And it reminded me that when people show you their true colors, believe them.
These are not “bad” lessons. I always ask for one thing when in the midst of a struggle – personal or global. I ask for clarity. My close friends know I talk about this often. With clarity, we are given the chance to change our response to things, to people, to ourselves. I also wish for clarity for others – so that when they are lost, they are able to find footing and purpose.
On my Instagram  profile today, I posted words from my heart for the new year. I hope some of them resonate with you, and that you find your own words of value to move forward into another year, despite the hardships we are thrown. Thanks for coming along with me on this ride – and enjoy another recipe from me as we move forward once more.
Paleo Chili Dog Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 high quality hot dogs, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (yes there are paleo, high quality ketchup brands)
- Drizzle the oil into the stainless steel bowl of your Instant Pot
- Press the saute button and add in the onion
- Allow it to cook for 4 minutes and then add in the ground beef
- Break it up and shift it around for 5 minutes, it does not need to be cooked all the way through
- Add in the remaining ingredients, stir well, and secure lid, close pressure valve
- Cook on high pressure (use the pressure cook or manual button) for 8 minutes
- Release pressure valve and remove lid once safe to do so
- Serve with shredded cheese (dairy free or real deal) and any other chili fixins you love