Tonight I fed my family for under $8 with this restaurant quality Marsala Mushroom Risotto. It was beyond amazing and full of flavor.
What a time to be alive. So much confusion, fear, and lots of unknowns. Being home with and without choice, with news that changes by the minute, and drastically by the day. Our hearts feel tender and our protective natures are in full force as we think about those we love who might be affected.
What I see most, though, is people within my own community in Tampa and my Predominantly Paleo  community online, pulling together. We are communicating more than ever; we are sharing our gratitude lists. We are discussing our methods of coping with fear and worry. We are trading favorite baked good recipes. And we are trading memes that help us all take a minute to share a laugh – something that feels harder to come by lately.
I wrote this recipe on a whim tonight; 1) because I had a sweet friend Maya who asked me if I needed gluten free pasta while she was picking up a few things at the Italian grocery (and offered to drop them off plus this risotto rice) and 2) because mushroom risotto sounded like the absolute perfect comfort food. And 3) if there needed to be any other reason, I know people are trying to be the most cost effective as possible. And this meal cost me less than $8 to feed all 5 of us. Truly affordable and using ingredients you might already have tucked into your reserves.
As the upcoming weeks unfold, please know you and your families are in my thoughts. And while we might feel like we can’t control much these days, we sure can make a good meal – and that’s just what we’ll do.Print 
Marsala Mushroom Risotto
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- Start by adding the ghee, onion, and mushrooms to a skillet over medium/high heat
- Saute, shifting the contents regularly until they begin to soften (5-8 minutes)
- Add in the marsala wine, other seasonings, and coconut aminos
- Continue to saute until the mushrooms turn dark and the onions start to caramelize
- While your veggies saute, bring the broth and arborio rice to a low simmer in a saucepan over medium (may lower to low/medium) heat
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice becomes creamy and slightly tender
- Fold in the veggies and serve topped with parmesan and parsley