What do you get when you combine all the best savory flavors in one recipe… you get this KETO PATTY MELT CASSEROLE, that’s what!
I’d like to take a moment for a quick back-pat because it is nothing short of a miracle that I have created TWO new recipes in a week. I mean, it’s been a dry spell of several months and I’ve not been able to tap into my most creative self. Lots of distractions between health, moving, and my “haus frau” husband starting his second career post-military! Lots of exciting things but also the plate is extra full.
So I’m pretty pumped to have created this new HIGH PROTEIN ONION DIP  and now this! I was falling asleep a few nights ago thinking about my PALEO STUFFED BURGER BUNS . And then I imagined making a keto version but slightly different with caramelized onions and cheddar and designed a little more like a casserole. So as I was falling asleep I thought through the logistics and I woke up with another item on my to do list!
Well I have very good news to report! I made it today and it worked amazingly well. I will say that I do recommend using leaner meat if you intend on using 2 layers of cheese because the additional fat will settle at the bottom of the casserole dish. You can also choose to do one layer of cheese only if you prefer. The only ingredient you have to cook outside of the casserole dish is the caramelized onions, but trust me, it’s so worth the extra step! The flavors just come alive together.
KETO PATTY MELT CASSEROLE
- 1 bag Keto Blender Bread Mix by The Castaway Kitchen 
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, melted coconut oil, or melted butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat of your choosing
- 6–12 slices of cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Start by sauteing/caramelizing your onion slowly over medium heat in the tablespoon of cooking fat, shifting the onion periodically over the next 10 minutes (you can season with a bit of sea salt and pepper)
- Now blend the first 5 ingredients to make your bread batter (following bag instructions)
- Preheat your oven to 350F while you line a casserole dish 10×6 or similar, and line it with parchment paper
- Spoon about 1.5 cups of the bread batter into the bottom of the parchment-lined pan
- Now place half the cheese slices down on top of the batter (like you would layer a lasagna)
- Sprinkle the raw ground beef evenly across the top of the cheese slices
- Now evenly distribute your cooked onions
- Layer with an extra layer of cheese slices
- Last use a large cookie or ice cream scoop to distribute the remaining bread batter into 6 portions (as if you were making 6 sliders)
- Press the batter slightly and sprinkle with poppy seeds
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, allow to cool once removing from oven, slice and serve