When I tell you there is no dairy in this Creamy Dairy Free Enchilada Soup, you’ll likely call me a liar. I can live with that.
So here we are: 10 days until Halloween, 2 months into the school year, and 5 months into our Florida living. I have to say daily sunshine is not awful. And as much as I love 4 seasons, the one that stays grey and cold with snow and depression is just not my favorite.
I realized over the past couple years that I really do suffer from some pretty major blues once the holidays are over and winter seems to never end. I love those initial snows and hot chocolate ugg weather but gawd help me when it’s still March and the sun hasn’t come out.
I feel like I mention the weather a lot, like I’m 97, but don’t worry I won’t start talking about my poop habits. JK I might but not in recipe posts. But the weather, I’ve discovered, really plays a more significant role in my mental health than I ever credited. And after living in Illinois twice and Germany once, there’s no denying it… I do better where there is sun.
All that to say, it feels a little funny writing a soup recipe when I am still in flip flops and tank tops, but nothing is gonna hold me back from my love of soups. And please do not recommend chilled soups to me, because I cannot. And will not.
Oh and guess what else is fun about this new soup recipe?! I made it on the stovetop. Now, you can totes make it in the IP  (toss all ingredients in, cook on high for 12 minutes, add in the dairy free stuff, garnish and serve) but if you don’t have an Instant Pot  or feel like it’s a stovetop kinda night, I gotchu. So exciting isn’t it??
Want even more soup recipes? Try THESE  books!Print 
Creamy Dairy Free Enchilada Soup
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound raw chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 cup dairy free (or dairy) sour cream or cream cheese
- Avocado and cilantro to garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except for the dairy free sour cream or cream cheese and garnishes) in a stockpot on the stovetop
- Stir and turn on heat to medium/high and bring the soup to a boil
- Cover the pot and continue to cook for 25 minutes
- Lower heat to low and remove one cup of the soup
- Add the dairy free sour cream or cream cheese to the cup of soup and stir until it is completely incorporated
- Now add the cup of soup back into the larger pot and stir once more to combine
- Take an immersion blender and blend sporadically so that some of the chunks of chicken and veggies are left and some are blended
- Top with sliced avocado and cilantro to garnish