So I have a confession to make… I am not a huge cauliflower rice fan. I mean don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat it steamed or sauteed or roasted, but I never fell in love with grain free cauli rice. I feel like I might be written a citation for not being a fan of cauli rice, but I figure I better come clean now or never.
In the time that I’ve been eating grain free, I don’t crave rice regularly, which is a relief. But there are those times, you know the ones, when you kinda sorta really NEED it. And not the cauli kind. Well, since my body still doesn’t love the real deal rice as much as my mouth does, I finally figured out a way to have my rice and eat it too. It’s still simple and tonight for dinner I served crawfish etoufee over my paleo rice (non-cauli) and my children literally ate 3 bowls each. THREE. I couldn’t believe how many times I got up to refill for them.
This can be made with any veggie that you can spiralize – if the green throws you off, yellow squash will work or you can peel your zucchini (though I see no reason to with all those vitamins packed in)!
- 2 large zucchini squash
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil, or cooking fat of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Additional seasonings like garlic, onion, chives, sesame seeds (not AIP), etc
- You will want to slice the ends off your squash and then spiralize them. I use this spiralizer and it works well!
- After they are spiralized, place on a cutting board and dice until desired sized “kernels”
- In a wok or skillet, saute the zucchini rice in the teaspoon of oil for about 5 minutes or until it softens
- You will want to try to cook off as much water as possible
- Add in the seasonings of choice and then serve!