after a great success with my paleo piggies, i thought it might be fun to see what else i can wrap up with grain free blankets of love. as i drifted into slumber the other night i got it!!! tamales or taquitoes! these are kind of a cross breed which is sometimes the result of voiding grain, but they are tasty! serve these with guacamole, salsa, fresh cilantro, or any other condiment that suits your fancy!
- 1 cup cashew meal (finely ground)
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 onion finely diced
- combine salsa, chicken, and onion in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until it shreds easily
- shred chicken and keep set aside
- preheat oven to 375
- combine cashew meal/flour, potato flour, arrowroot flour, garlic salt, and egg in a bowl. if mixture is too crumbly add a teaspoon of water to moisten.
- form a ball with the dough and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- slice into approximately 3″x3″ squares (or rectangles) big enough to roll shredded chicken into
- tip: do not make your dough too thin, moist, or dry. there is a happy medium – you will find it if you can easily roll chicken up into each “square” of dough.
- roll each tamale until you can seal the opening and place on parchment lined cookie sheet
- bake for 10 min or until dough is cooked thoroughly