Want to excite your tastebuds a bit? Try these Grain Free Asian Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs as an appetizer or main course! Slow cooker or Instant Pot makes this even easier!
Truth be told, I tried to make this a one-potter and it was a no go. I wanted that sauce to have that glazed effect and while you know I love me an IP one-stop-shot, you’ll have to actually lift two fingers instead of one for this recipe. Don’t be skeered, you could still pull it off half-asleep so I think we’re good.
Ultimately, there are days I’d love nothing more than to wiggle my nose and have dinner be ready. And then there are days I really enjoy the act of preparing dinner or baking from scratch. We’ll call these as close to nose-wiggling prep as you can get, which I think we’ll have to agree is pretty great. Unless you hate noses. Or wiggling.
I’ve been thinking about this recipe for awhile because I used to be obsessed with Sweet and Sour Chicken Chinese takeout. The deeper the fry, the better. And I’ve really wanted to make a delicious glazed sauce like that (or like duck sauce for egg rolls omg!), but I wanted to be sure I could pull it off the “right” way. After a few fails (3 to be exact), I was finally able to make a sweet and sour sauce that is sweetened only with fruit and honey and has just the right amount of tart and sweet.
I’m pretty sure I’ll be making this sauce for other dishes as well so keep your eyes out (hello chicken wings), but in the meantime, why not try these Asian Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs for your next party or weeknight dinner over rice. Yes cauli rice works well too, but you know I have feelings about that.
Grain Free Asian Sweet and Sour Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs
For the Meatballs:
- 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup beef, chicken, or turkey broth
- 2 pounds ground turkey (chicken also works)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (use more if your meat is extra wet or has higher fat content)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grass fed gelatin (not collagen)
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- To make the meatballs, pour the broth and juice into your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- Now assemble the meatballs by combining all remaining meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl, making sure to combine them thoroughly
- I made larger meatballs so mine would not be stacked in the Instant Pot since I did a slow cook setting
- Now place the meatballs into the broth/juice mixture and press the “Slow Cook” option. I cooked them at the IP “Normal” slow cook setting for 3 hours and they were cooked through. You can also use a traditional slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. If you prefer to cook them under pressure, secure the lid, press the “Pressure Cook/Manual” button and cook on high for 15 minutes
- When the meatballs are close to done or finished, combine your sauce ingredients over low/medium heat in a saucepan and whisk them together
- Let them come to a simmer for a minute or two and then remove from heat. It doesn’t take long for the sauce to thicken and will thicken more once it cools
- Serve with toasted sesame seeds and minced green onion or chives