Looking for a little kick in the pants? This Gluten Free Mexican Gumbo is hearty, savory, and has just enough heat to warm you up!
Does everyone else feel like they could take a 73 hour nap? Just me? Cool. This week has felt like many weeks and the truth is, it’s just this time of year. The fun part? I spent two evenings with lady friends, and have life breathed into me. I mean can we talk about how glorious it is to sit by a fire pit in a Florida backyard under a pergola with snacks and prosecco? I am living for this.
And because I hate meal planning, because that would simplify life way too much, I was scrambling like a crazy bish last night before I went to a gathering with another friend. I opened the fridge. Thawed ground beef. Score. What else do we have? Ah, a can of Rotel in the pantry. Sweet. Some frozen broth in the freezer. Yessss. And to really send you reeling…
Protect your young, shield your eyes, I put some rice up in hurrr and it was glorious.
A few weeks back when I rescued that cute pup (whose owners were found, halleloo), I had a big bowl of Mexican Gumbo in my backseat that I had just picked up from QDoba. I’ve always wanted to copycat that recipe and I gotta say I came pretty durn close. For the minimal amount of ingredients this bad boy has, it is FLAY-VOR-FULLLL, just the way I like it.
So I tossed it all together, fed the punks, and off I went for another evening of grownupping. It sure is nice to have a social life isn’t it? It’s been awhile for me. I am really enjoying not living under a rock. Praise be. Also I FINALLY FINISHED my Healthy Home Holiday Gift Guide and I think it took me longer to produce this than grow a full term human. But it’s cool y’all. It’s done and glorious and I am hoping someone will buy me things off my own guide. That’s normal right?Print
Gluten Free Mexican Gumbo
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomato and chilies
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot and drizzle the oil and add the onion
- Saute the onion for 5 minutes and then add the ground beef
- Break up the meat and cook for 5 more minutes and then add all remaining ingredients
- Stir well, secure lid and press the Cancel button
- Now press the Rice button and allow the soup to cook
- Release the pressure valve and then remove the lid once safe to do so
- Serve warm with OPTIONAL cilantro, dairy free sour cream, and cheese if desired