It’s TEX-MEX time! When I asked all you lovely friends what you wanted to see more of, TEX-MEX was ranked up there with requests for world peace and 75 degree days year round. Clearly I am not equipped to facilitate the latter two but TEX-MEX, this girl can do!
I have mentioned before that I am a Texas native…and I will likely mention it in every post that has avocado or cowboy boots, because I am THAT proud. As we Texans like to say: TEXAS – no greater country in the world! And while that might be a slight exaggeration, it’s really not. TEXANS are like no other. We pride ourselves on waving to other cars passing by, meeting friends wherever we go, and our ability to put down more tacos and queso than all of the Eastern Hemisphere. Only problem is when you stop eating corn and cheese. Strike – you’re out!!!!
So after cutting grain and dairy, I made a promise to myself ) after sinking into a deep depression about all of my Southern foods I would miss) that I would find ways to revisit my roots in a MUCH healthier way! May I present to you….BAKED PALEO TORTILLAS!!!!
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yuca (peeled and cleaned)
- 1 ripe plantain
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil plus 2 more teaspoons
- 1 heaping teaspoon freshly ground garlic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Boil the yuca for about 25 minutes on stovetop
- Remove boiled yuca from heat and drain water
- Combine cooked yuca, plantain, oil, and salt in a blender or food processor
- Blend until pureed (mixture will be thick, like dough)
- Cut a piece of parchment paper and line a large baking sheet
- Take a handful of the dough mixture and between two pieces of parchment paper (placing the one you just laid out on the bottom) flatten into a round tortilla by hand
- Repeat process, making another tortilla, and again until your parchment paper is full
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until cooked through (baking time will depend on how thick your tortillas are)
- Once cooked they will be slightly crisped on the edges and nice and pliable
- Allow to cool slightly and then fill them with all of your favorites