The good news is you probably have all the ingredients you need to make this 10 Minute Chile Con Queso and the other good news is you can whip it up in 10 minutes or less. So what’re you waiting for?!
In prepping for the election night, I knew that snacks were of the utmost importance (after voting of course). I made my Cowboy Chili naturally, and made a vegetarian version for our visiting friend. I made sure I had prosecco on hand, because you KNOW I’ll need a few glasses to manage my emotions. And I decided last minute to make some queso because snacks make life better in general.
Two of my kids celebrated their birthdays this week so life has been FULL and mostly rad, but hot damn it’s been busy. And my heart has been pulled in a million directions with this election so I really wanted to make sure I could be home to soak it all in. Chili, family, queso, historic election… and breathe.
Our rabbi sent out a message today that really hit home for me. It said “Love your neighbor with your vote.” That short simple sentence really did it for me. Being Jewish, I have experienced a lot of damning language in my life, but nothing compared to the hate crimes that others from marginalized communities have experienced. To sum up my call to lift up the oppressed in one 6 word sentence was so powerful for me. Love your neighbor with your vote.
I sat with those words all day. I hope I did my part, I know my heart did. And I hope my children understand the mission of our home – to consider others, to lift them up, especially when they do not look like, live like, pray like, or love like us.Print
10 Minute Chile Con Queso
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can Rotel or similar product, drained
- 8 ounces Colby Jack, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1.5 cups dairy free milk ( I used flax milk), you could also use dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or more if desired
- Saute the onion in the avocado oil over medium heat until translucent, around 6 minutes
- Now lower the heat and add in the cheese and dairy free milk and stir constantly until smooth
- Add in more milk if needed to smooth it out
- Next spoon in your Rotel and chopped cilantro
- Add your seasonings while still over low heat and taste
- Once to your liking, serve right away or reheat later
- Serve with tortilla chips or grain free Siete chips