Oh Spring has sprung at last! Our “mild” Winter held on tight and stretched out freezing nights for as long as possible. Pair those with lots of rain and grey skies and it’s any wonder I was able to leave bed. Wow, that’s depressing sounding but I’m here to say that the fiery ball in the sky is burning once again and I am excited to create, grill and get some good stuff into my body.
Today we went to meet our friends Paleo Parents for burgers nearby before heading to gymnastics and doing chores around the house. Then we had a lemonade stand out front and used my recipe from Down South Paleo, which is sweetened with honey instead of weird pink powdery stuff. I love teaching my kids that you can have delicious things in life that are enjoyable and even sweet to the taste but are good for our bodies and help keep us living long healthy lives. Ok honestly that has nothing to do with this recipe, I just really had a feel-good moment about trying to steer my littles in the right direction.
Onto the slaw! I am sorta picky about slaw, being from Texas and all. I really have had some that are gag worthy and not being a slaw addict to start with, I want it to be really dang good or I’m not even going there. This slaw is a broccoli based slaw so you can sneak some extra greens in there and give yourself a big pat on the back.
- 1 -12 ounce bag broccoli slaw (organic when possible) (or shred your own)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (homemade or high quality store bought preferred)
- 2 tablespoons local raw honey (or more)(or sub maple syrup for vegan option)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) finely ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and stir – I personally like to put them in a container with a lid and shake them up until they are well combined.