BBQ sauce is as inherent to Texas as Tex-Mex is. And truth be told, BBQ sauce isn’t just a condiment, it is a pure reflection of the personality consuming it. There are sauces that can be based on honey, tomato, molasses, smoky, spicy, pepper, tangy, mustard, and on and on. And with each sauce comes a personality to fit it. Don’t try to convince a mustardy sauce lover that a sweet sauce would better suit his brisket. That right there is like a challenge to a gunfight in the old west. Bad news, people. Bad news.
So here’s the deal with this sauce. It is sort of set up to be customizable. Is that even a word? This is designed as a good basic sauce, which I personally love as is. But, if you prefer it sweeter, add a little more honey. Prefer that mustard kick? Toss a lil more mustard in there. Love the smoky flare? Go for it. I think you will find that you can add YOUR personality to this sauce to make it just right. And the best news of all? No corn syrup, no gluten, no nasties at all. Date sweetened and full of the goodstuffs. Now go get your grub on! My brisket awaits!!!
- 1/2 cup organic tomato sauce
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic sea salt blend, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Optional: 1 teaspoon local raw honey (omit for vegan)
- Start by combining all ingredients in a blender, Vitamix, or Nutribullet
- Blend then pulse until consistency is smooth
- Heat in saucepan until warm and serve right away