Okay, so certainly there are many amazing briskets out there, and I have tasted many. But this was outrageously tender, slice with a fork, plates licked clean kind of good. It really was. This is more your Grandma’s Brisket than it is a Texas BBQ brisket. And you can trust that I know both well with my Southern roots! Both ways are amazing if done correctly, but let me tell you what…I have tasted brisket that I literally had to spit out. It was sinewy and chewy and the flavor completely off. I guess that’s what I get for trying brisket on the East Coast. For shame.
- 1 brisket, grass fed if possible (about 4 pounds)
- 32 ounces beef broth (homemade if desired and for aip)
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- Freshly ground black pepper (omit for aip)
- Avocado Oil
- 6 large carrots
- Coat the bottom of a large stockpot with avocado oil
- Heat on medium/high
- Rub ground pepper on both sides of brisket and put into oil
- After about 7 minutes flip brisket over to brown other side
- Once both sides of brisket are nicely browned, place sliced onions in the bottom on the stockpot
- Place brisket back on top of the onions
- Pour the beef broth over the brisket and put garlic into stockpot as well as carrots
- Bring to a simmer and continue simmering for about 4 hours
- Turn down heat after 4 hours and remove brisket from pot
- Slice and serve with carrots, onions, the broth/gravy and whatever greens you wish!
- If you wish to make this in your Instant Pot , you’ll want to use the saute feature to cook the onions in a bit of oil first then you can brown both sides of your peppered brisket just as in the directions above. Finally you’ll want to pour your broth in and add your carrots, then cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. Tender delicious brisket in under an hour!